Where is the bolt torque applied?
The cylinder (it is also called the cylinder head) is a very essential part of the motor of your car. Making repairs to the engine, in most situations it is necessary to change its gasket. How to determine the tightening torque of the bolts, for which they need to be tightened at all, which rules are required to be observed when performing these works - all this will be discussed in this publication.
When do I need to tighten the cylinder head bolts?
Before performing work it is necessary to determine where the cylinder head is located. The cylinder head can be made of cast iron or an alloy of aluminum. This is a cover that covers the cylinders. Her duties include the following tasks:
- Mount intake and exhaust manifold.
- Protect the cylinder block.
- It is located chain tensioner and camshaft drive.
- It contains threaded holes for the placement of spark plugs.
From time to time it is necessary to carry out a tightening of a head of the block of cylinders only to modifications of the cars which are let out till 2010.Fresh models of cars are different engine structure. And they do not need a given procedure. The need to perform the tightening occurs due to the accumulation of fluid in the place where the bolts in the cylinder block touch each other.
What determines the torque of the bolts?
When performing tightening the bolts of the head of the block, it is necessary to consider the following factors:
- The presence of grease in the thread in the holes and bolts. As a rule, apply the tool, which consists of non-viscous types of oil for the engine.
- The current position of the holes in the cylinder block, thread and bolts. If any bolt is modified or its thread is dirty, stop tightening. Change the part and clean the hole in the cylinder block. If this is not done, the gasket will not fix tightly. Oil will flow from the engine.
- At the time of tightening the bolts, be sure to focus your attention on the fact whether the used bolts are used. Fresh parts have higher resilience. This means that the tightening torque is significantly distorted.
- In case you expose the force, then perform 3-4 cycles of tightening and unfolding the bolt to the end. But that is not all.Then set the bolt torque. Twist them in only half of the largest indicator of torque.
Important tips for tightening the cylinder head bolts
For a good result, tighten the cylinder head yourself, use the following tips:
- Use the manual for the operation and repair of the machine. In it, the manufacturer indicates the exact indicators of force and moments of bolts tightening on the engine. In addition, the manual indicates the procedure for installing the cylinder head when repairing the engine.
- Pay attention to the initial condition of the bolts. If there is a breakdown or deformation of the notches, then get new details.
- The covering of the hole and bolt notches must be clean. Using a wire brush does not take long to clean the cylinders.
- If you see "blind" holes for the cylinder head bolts, carefully use oil for lubrication. If you overdo it, it will not be possible to fasten the part to the end.
- After the bolt tightening procedure is completed, it will be necessary to lubricate the notches with a flexible sealant.
- When laying a fresh bolt gasket, it is required to know the necessary amount of applied force and torque whentightening
The moment of an inhaling of bolts (VAZ)
Consider the bolt attachment scheme for VAZ – 2108–09 cars. The process takes place in four stages:
- Bolts fasten 2,0 kgf * m.
- Then fasten 7.5-8.5 kgf * m.
- Screw up to 90 degrees.
- Still dokruchivayutsya 90 degrees.
We hope that the article was useful for you. The publication will help you when tightening the cylinder head bolts.