Ing in English, rules of use and spelling
The grammar of the English language has its own characteristics.In order to be fluent in a foreign language, it is necessary to know the rules for constructing sentences and the basis of word formation. When the basics become clear, the expression of their thoughts in English will not cause difficulties. One of the important components of grammar ising ending in English. rulesits use will be discussed below.
In what cases is used the ending –ing
There are three such cases:
- Verbal noun.
- Present participle.
In order to understand in what cases ing is put (the end in English), the rules of use must be carefully memorized. This will help to understand the essence of the above concepts.
What is a gerund?
Gerunds cause difficulties in understanding, since they do not have a similar grammatical form in Russian.A gerund is a verb in a non-personal form, which is used to name an action. The peculiarity of a gerund is that it combines an action and an object or process. In his education, he used the ending ing in the English language. The rules for constructing sentences are quite simple. For example: I love playing different games. - I like to play different games.
When used gerund
Gerund is used in the following cases:
- After certain verbs, such as enjoy, finish,suggest and others.
- In the formation of stable phrases using some prepositions. for example, the idea of,to be good
- After the adjectives worth and busy.
- After prepositionsafterbeforeand others.
When is a verbal noun used?
In the formation of a verbal noun, the ending is ing in the English language. The rules of its translation are quite simple, since the noun is also used to designate it in Russian.
Verbal nouns are used in speech with an article or with a possessive pronoun. A verbal noun can be either singular or plural.For example: Her loud talking gets on my nerves.
In what cases is the present participle used?
- Before the noun participle is used, in which is presentending ing. In English language rulesbuilding proposals can be clearly seen in the example:risingbeautiful
- In sentences with participial traffic:My girlfriend
- In sentences that consist of a verb, a complement and a participle:saw him getting
- With educationof timePresent, Perfect, FuturePast Continuous.For the formation of this group of tenses is used a verb with the ending -. For example:She was watching tv when somebody knocked at the door.In thisoffer andis usingtimePast Continuous.He is driving to office at the moment (Present Continuous time).He was very tired, he had been working hard all week (Past Perfect Continuous time). Don't call me tomorrow between 1 and 2, I’ll be having dinner (Future Continuous time)
Turn to be going to, what means and when used
In addition to the above cases of using the ending –ing in English, there is a steady turn to be going, which also uses a verb with the ending –ing. With this phraseologism expressed any actions that will be committed in the near future. The infinitive joins this turn and means that action which the person is going to make. In Russian, this expression is translated as "going to do or accomplish something." For example, I'm going to visit my friend. - I'll go visit my friend.