How to understand that kidneys hurt. Causes of pain in the kidney area
Often people mistakenly think that back pain is caused by problems in the kidneys. Indeed, what else can hurt in the lower back? In fact, there are a lot of diseases that cause pain in the kidney area, and only medical diagnostics will help to understand whether the kidneys hurt or something else.
Kidney pain not related to pathology
There are several diseases that will disturb the kidney area. It:
- Acute appendicitis, cholecystitis. As a rule, there are problems with urination.
- The manifestation of osteochondrosis (radiculitis, lumbodynia). Sore kidneys, or these are signs of neurological pathology, will help to determine a simple observation: in patients with radiculitis, pain occurs only in case of sudden movements and bends, while renal diseases are characterized by the presence of pain in any posture and position.
Symptoms of sick kidneys
The following symptoms will help you to understand if your kidneys hurt or are talking about another disorder:
- Pain in the lumbar region and lower back at the level of the lower ribs.
- Blood in the urine or change in urine color.
- Frequent / rare urging to the toilet.
- Cutting or burning pains when urinating.
- Swelling of the arms and legs (occurs when the kidneys can not remove fluid from the body).
- The specific smell of ammonia from the mouth.
- A rash on the skin (talking about intoxication of the body).
- Nausea, vomiting.
- Increasing pain with the slightest exertion.
- Flaccidity, fatigue.
- Temperature increase.
Types of kidney pain
All diseases and pathologies associated with an increase in the kidneys, displacement, germination of the capsule, cause a certain kind of pain. In total, there are 3 types:
- Aching. It is characteristic of any tumors (benign and cancerous), polycystic, pyelonephritis, tuberculosis, hydronephrosis. If the kidneys are constantly sore and the temperature is a direct sign of pyelonephritis.
- Pulling. Such pain is characteristic of diseases associated with an increase in pressure on the organ and with its displacement (nephroptosis). During pregnancy, pain may indicate a displacement of the kidney under the influence of an enlarged uterus.
- Mixed. Occurs, for example, during pregnancy, when there is an increased pressure of the uterus on the kidney, and at the same time its displacement.Similarly, the kidneys hurt after alcohol.
Major Kidney Disease
- Pyelonephritis is an acute inflammation of the intermediate tissue in the kidney, blood vessels, or tubules.
- Urolithiasis - the deposition of salts and calcium in the channels.
- Hydronephrosis is a violation of urine outflow.
- Kidney cyst - tumor formation on the organ.
- Nephroptosis - develops due to the displacement and twisting of the kidney around its axis.
- Renal failure - is expressed in the fact that the kidneys cease to perform certain functions. It may appear due to improper drinking regime, after abortion and intoxication of the body.
- Hypothermia - more common in the cold season, when the temperature is significantly lowered. It is enough to chill the feet for chilling the kidneys.
- Renal dysfunction during pregnancy - says that a very large load on the body, and each organ is working at the limit.
If you have kidney pain or pain in the kidney area, we strongly recommend that you consult a doctor!