How to make glycerin?
Glycerin is a triatomic alcohol, its chemical formula is CH2OH-CHON-CH2HE. In industry, this substance is extracted from refined petroleum products (chlorination of propylene at high temperatures). You can also make glycerin, both independently and in a chemical laboratory, by hydrolysis of fats.
How to make glycerin by yourself
Glycerin can be made independently. To do this, you need the following components:
- Animal fat or vegetable oil - 700 g;
- Distillate - 300 g;
- Pure lye - 100 g;
- Salt - 15 g.
Stages of production of glycerin at home
- A little water and salt mix, boil, let cool.
- Wear protective equipment - glasses and rubber gloves for working with liquor.
- Slowly mix the lye and the remaining water (preferably in a glass container, be sure to add the lye to the water, and not vice versa) and stir until it dissolves. Stir very gently, as the reaction proceeds with heating, wait until the solution cools to 40 degrees.
- Melt the fat in a large saucepan and bring to 40 degrees.
- A little liquor solution, so that there is no splashing, pour in the melted fat, stir for about 15 minutes. The consistency should be like custard.
- Mix prepared saline solution into the mixture. After mixing, immediately put in the refrigerator for 12 hours.
- Remove the dishes with the mixture, remove the upper hardened soap layer. The transparent substance that is under it is glycerol. It can be further purified from water impurities by boiling.
Glycerin is a stably unstable substance. It is necessary to handle with particular care both with the finished product and during its manufacture. When heated, glycerol is already up to 90aboutWith stands out acetone and acrolein, which reduce the flash point to 112aboutC, which is very fire hazardous.