How to lay tiles on a wall? How to lay tile
Do-it-yourself repair today has become a very popular activity. However, one desire to change the interior of the apartment is not enough. It must be supported by knowledge of the basic theoretical aspects of this rather complex event. Usually, repairs start from the bathroom and toilet. Knowing how to put tiles on the wall correctly, you can radically change the usual appearance of the bathroom. Proper implementation of all the rules for laying tile material will help save time and reduce the cost of attracting specialist firms.
How to choose the tile?
The tile is the most widespread material among the analogs. The reason for this popularity lies in the availability and relatively low cost. Before you learn how to lay tile, you need to choose it correctly.
First of all, pay attention to the packaging.A special sign in the form of a foot or hand will indicate which category of tile the product belongs to - floor or wall. Wear-resistant building material on the packaging is marked with a stroke, frost-resistant - snowflakes. In addition, if you want to purchase a quality product, then pay attention to the number of stars on the box. The more of them, the better the tile.
In the hardware store, you will definitely see that the tile is divided into several groups:
- first class tile - designed specifically for bathrooms;
- second class - used in cottages and country houses;
- third-class products - designed for the floor of residential premises.
When choosing a tile, special attention should be paid to the color scheme. Remember that light tones visually increase the space, dark ones - vice versa. On a matte surface pollution is less noticeable than on glossy.
A tile has several basic characteristics that define its purpose:
- ease of care;
- protection against moisture and pollution;
- a wide range of;
- large selection of decorative items.
The advantages and disadvantages of tile
The main advantage of tile is its durability and strength. Thanks to a special production technology, it is very difficult to break it. The tile is made of pressed materials, followed by firing and glazing, which provides the product with water resistance and durability.
Modern dyeing technology can also be attributed to the advantages of this building material. It is not painted on the surface, but in bulk. That is, scratching the tile, you can not worry - it will not be very noticeable.
The tile is presented in wide assortment - everyone can pick up color and design to the taste. Especially popular today are surfaces that mimic leather, glass, etc.
But, unfortunately, the tile has some drawbacks:
- The fragility of the glaze. During the fall, it can easily break off or crack.
- Due to the high strength of the tile is difficult to cut.
- With evaporation or ingress of water, the glaze becomes slippery.
Preparation for laying
Before answering the question of how to lay tiles on the wall, we will highlight one more important nuance. It's about preparing for the process. To do this, measure the repaired room, namely the surface where the tile will be located.Next, you need to schematically draw a finished wall with all the grooves and openings, taking into account the removed dimensions. Do not forget about sockets and other elements where the tiles will not be. We calculate the required amount of building material.
Tools for work
Before we understand the question "how to lay tiles on the wall," you need to prepare everything you need for finishing work. First you need to buy a binder. It can be either a cement mixture or a special glue. In addition, you will need grout, primer, guides, screws, trim and plastic crosses. The latter are necessary to respect the size of the seam. Guides or special profiles will help lay out the bottom row of the tile horizontally and evenly, trim is needed to create the right angle.
You will also need a special set of tools:
- drill with drills and various nozzles;
- tile cutter (if there is no special, you can use a grinder or glass cutter);
- several types of spatulas;
- containers for the preparation of glue;
- spirit level.
Wall preparation process
Any builder-finisher admits that before laying the tile on the wall, the surface must be prepared.After all, it is the correct preparatory work that ensures a long service life, an attractive appearance and a strong attachment of the material.
Before laying tile walls plastered, parallel alignment of the surface. Next, the walls are treated with a primer, which increases the adhesive effect of finishing materials.
In some cases, tiles can be laid on top of old concrete pavements, masonry, moisture resistant plasterboard.
Laying tile over old tiles is not recommended. To securely fasten the lining on the previous working surface, you need to use a layer that increases the adhesion of materials, and very strong glue.
The main stages of laying
How to start laying tiles? The work process is as follows:
1. First, prepare the required amount of soil mixture, and then apply it to the walls. Primer for the walls of the bathroom and toilet should have water-repellent properties and be composed of antiseptic.
2. A small amount of tile for the initial rows cut.
3. On the surface, using the level, determine the main points of the horizontal of the lower area to be trimmed.Usually put four points in the corners and four around the perimeter.
4. Next, you can proceed to the installation of guides, or profiles. First, they are mounted on the wall opposite the entrance, then the marks set the bars, which will guide the bottom row of tiles.
If you lay the tile on the wall, and there is already a floor on the floor, then it is not at all necessary to fix the profile for the bottom row. It can be supported on the floor.
Determination of horizontal rows of tiles
In case you have a flat floor, it is not difficult to determine the bottom row of the tile. However, this is not always the case. Immediately the question arises: "Where do you start laying tiles?" The fact is that construction builders often have to build on the second, or even the third row. This is due to:
- along the walls are communications that need to be bypassed;
- only the walls are lined, and the floor remains intact, besides it has an uneven surface;
- planning of horizontal rows completely depends on the number of vertical tiles. It so happens that the level of the original support row needs to be lowered or raised to accommodate the whole tile.It is necessary to move from top to bottom, transferring the mark to the next row.
Defining vertical rows of tiles
Each builder-finisher independently decides how to lay tiles in the bathroom. Someone approaches this process creatively, some have their own scheme of works. The main problem of laying out tiles is the upper rows that have to be cut. And this is not always beautiful. There are several tricks to avoid these troubles:
- you can shift all the rows and cut only the tiles in the corner so that they look symmetrical;
- reduce the size of the tile in the place where it will be noticeably the least.
How to lay tile? Step-by-step instruction
Laying tile should start from the corner of the wall, which is opposite the entrance. Then everything needs to be done according to the plan:
- Cover the back side of the tile with glue or special agent.
- Spatula to smooth the layer of glue so that there are no voids.
- The tile must be fixed in the corner and tap with a rubber hammer.
- Glue, which came out on the wall after pressing, must be quickly removed.
- Similarly, lay the tiles to the opposite angle.
- After fixing 3-4 rows, it is worth waiting a little for the glue to get better.
- To make the joints between the tiles as flat as possible, plastic crosses are installed. It is important to remove the crosses before the solution solidifies.
- After laying it is necessary to check the vertical and horizontal tiles. This can be done with the help of a level and plumb lines, sometimes an ordinary bar is applied to the surface of the cladding, and all the flaws become visible.
- At the end of the seams need to be filled with a hermetic means, after which you should apply grout.
Builders note: before the glue cures, you can adjust the position of the tile and seams. Therefore, after laying tile, it is necessary to thoroughly check the entire surface for defects and flaws.
This instruction is also the answer to the question of how to lay tiles on the wall in the kitchen. The principle is the same everywhere.
If you are planning to lay tile on plasterboard surfaces, then keep in mind that this can only be done after waterproofing the walls. Before you put the tile on drywall, you need to pay special attention to the cut edges. They also need to be treated with a waterproofing mixture.Tile can be laid using special tile glue using the same technology as in the bathroom.
The modern market of building and finishing materials is huge. On the shelves of shops you can see different variations of tile. In addition to the individual colors, textures and size, tile varies in cost. The most profitable option - the purchase of finishing materials of domestic or Belarusian production. The absence of customs duties and transportation costs significantly affects the price. Russian tile can be purchased for 130 rubles / m2. Some domestic manufacturers produce facing materials on the territory of our country, but using foreign technology. Here the price is slightly higher - 350 rubles / m2but the model range is much wider. Plants and factories of neighboring countries occupy an honorable third place in the cost of tile. Ukrainian tile collections are presented in the price range of 400-700 rubles per sq. M. Polish, Lithuanian and Czech manufacturers are not far behind them. Price per 1 sq.m. Tiles from Europeans vary from 600 to 1000 rubles.Of course, the leaders in the quality of building materials are Germany and Italy. Products of German and Portuguese factories can be bought for 1100 rubles for 1 m2.
Tile collection manufacturers
The variety of shapes, sizes and textures of tiles is simply amazing. Such a large number of options for finishing walls and floors allows you to realize even the most intimate desires and projects. It is best to lay tiles on the wall and floor, using materials from the collection of one manufacturer. Such tile will be in harmony with each other, and you will not notice any striking contrasts.
Modern colors of finishing materials allow you to combine a variety of shades, for example, pink and blue, white and turquoise, etc. In addition, there are hundreds of options for tile laying techniques. Someone makes color inserts or borders, others study technology, how to lay mosaic tiles, etc. In general, there are a lot of ideas to change the interior, so trust your flight of fancy, naturally, relying on physical and financial possibilities.
The tile is a rather unpretentious material, however, it also needs proper and constant care.Otherwise, limescale will spoil the tiles in the kitchen (it should be put on the same principle as in the bathroom) and in the bathroom. Bring to such a state the tile should not be, it is better to care for surfaces constantly.
Suitable cleaning agents for surfaces lined with such products can be found at any hardware store. It is better to use a creamy or liquid composition. Powder products often scratch the surface of the tile.
To cope with rust and limescale, you can use chlorine-containing drugs. In addition, chlorine disinfects the treated surface.
When you need to wash the tile, but there is no opportunity to go to the store, try cleaning the tile with window cleaner. The ammonia, which is included in its composition, perfectly removes the dirt and gives the surface a shine.
This article will teach how to properly lay tile and care for the tile surface. Complying with simple installation rules will help even a novice to change the interior of a bathroom, toilet or kitchen.