How to lay a stone?
Watch the video
Lined with a special brick or stoneThe surfaces look solid and impressive. Tracks and pavements are laid with paving stones, natural or artificial stone is often used for facing walls. To learn more about working with paving stones, read the article How to lay pavers. And how to properly lay the stone on the wall, we'll tell you below.
How to lay stone: tools and materials
Materials for the laying of stone
- planar stones for facing an even surface;
- Corner stones for decoration of corners of a structure;
- solution, or better special glue for facing.
To determine how much a stone is needed, it is necessary to perform calculations:
- Measure the length and width of the lined surface, determine its area.
- Measure the height of the corners to be faced: they will be angledelements. As a rule, each linear meter of corner elements occupies approximately 0.23 square meters. m of a flat surface. It is necessary to multiply the height of the corners by 0.23 - this will be the area to be covered with corner stones.
- Subtract from the total area to be covered the area of windows and doors and the area occupied by the corner elements. This will be the number of flat cladding elements.
- It is recommended to add about 10% for possible damages and options for selecting the most suitable stones.
Tools for laying a stone
Decorative stone can be laid using the following tools:
- construction level
- cords for lighthouses
- brush with metal bristles for cleaning the surface
- rubber hammer and plank or kiyanka
- Bulgarian, to saw a stone
- paint brush, roller or sprayer
- screws for fasteners.
How to put a decorative stone
First of all, you need to carefully prepare the surface, which is supposed to be laid with facing stones. The surface should be smooth, firm, clean, firm, with good adhesion.
With a metal brush, you need to remove all the deposits, bumps, ice, traces of oils and grease. It is advisable to check the evenness of the wall with a rack. Deep large potholes need to be sealed with a solution.
Before starting the masonry, check the availabilityAdhesion of the wall surface: sprinkle the surface with water to locate areas where water does not absorb, but forms droplets. Such places should be cleaned with a sandblast or other method.
When working in dry and hot weather, the surface is moistened. If the surface absorbs moisture, it must be primed. 2-3 minutes before laying, it is recommended to moisten the underside of the stone.
- From several packages get a facing stone (about 2 square meters) and gently lay it on the ground. This will pick up the stones by color andform.
- If the stones have the same height, you need to make sure that the seams do not overlap each other.
- Group stones should be so that there are no sections with the same height, color or shape. Then the masonry will look more natural.
- Laying stones on the floor or on the ground in thatthe order in which they will need to be put on the wall make a markup. It is necessary to take into account the distances to seams, the width of which is usually about 1 cm, but can vary according to the laying and the stones used.
How to put a stone: the order of work
- Prepare the adhesive according to the manufacturer's instructions.
- Mounting starts from the corners. If you want to put stones with a seam, work starts from the top edge, without a bar - from the bottom. When laying on top of the bottom stones will not get a solution or glue and will not spoil suchimage appearance.
- On the surface to be coated with a smooth spatula(trowel) apply glue, rubbing it to fill all the microcracks. Apply the adhesive with a trowel with a serrated edge, holding the tool at an angle of 60 degrees to the surface.
- A thin layer of glue is applied to the stone.
- Apply the stone to the surface of the wall, slightly moving it from side to side for better grip.
- Press on the stone or lightly tap it with a mallet, so that the excess glue is squeezed outward.
Sometimes, in order to seal the joints are made, ie. fill them with a special grout. This will avoid getting water under the stones and their subsequent cracking for this reason.