How to change computer name?
For networking, the computer name should be unique. Basically, the network administrator leaves the last name and user name to identify a specific computer. In case the computer is home, you can set any name you like. Just keep in mind that it should not exceed fifteen characters and be understandable. Next, try to figure out how to change the name of the computer. When changing the name of a computer on the Internet, a special standard has been derived: the use of only Latin characters (with a small and capital letter), all numbers and a hyphen. Otherwise, other characters or spaces will be entered, your computer will be unavailable for other users of the network. Also, it is worth remembering that all these changes can be made only by the local administrator of this computer.
For Windows 7 operating system:
- Click "Start" and select "Control Panel". In the window that appears, look for the item "System" and click on it.
- At the end of the basic information about your computer near the sub-item “Computer name, domain name and workgroup parameters” click the “Change settings” button. Maybe you will be asked to confirm the admin password.
- To rename the computer name, click on the "Change" button.
- In the "Computer Name" field, erase the old name and write the one you want. When you click on OK, changes will occur.
To change the computer name for Windows XP and Windows Vista:
- On the “My Computer” label, right-click;
- Then select "Properties";
- In Windows XP, the “System Property” window will appear, go to the “Computer Name” and click “Change”;
- Then in the name field we enter the name we need and click OK.
In Windows Vista, click "Change settings" near the sub-item "Computer name, domain name and workgroup settings";
- In the properties of the system go to the "Computer Name" and change it.
The final step in changing the computer name will be to restart it.