Bruised leg - what to do? How to distinguish a contusion from a fracture
If a leg was bruised, what to do in such a situation is very important to know. The fact of how long it will take to swell and pain depends on a competent reaction or its absence.
How to distinguish swelling from bruise
Before proceeding with treatment measures with obvious damage to the limb, it is necessary to find out what happened - a fracture or injury.
For a clearer picture, it is worth examining the symptoms of both types of damage.
- there is a strong pain that is growing;
- it is impossible to move the injured leg;
- a strong tumor, edema and hematoma are formed;
- the leg after injury is bent at an angle unnatural for it;
- In the area of injury appear bumps that hurt.
Symptoms of contusion:
- there is swelling;
- The injured area swells up;
- the pain that occurred during the injury, albeit severe, but subsides with time;
- A hematoma, unlike a fracture, does not form immediately, but only 2-3 days later, and provided that there is an injury to the bone tissue;
- The injured person cannot fully move the injured leg due to edema.
In other words, if a woman has hurt her leg, she will be able to move it, even if it will be accompanied by pain.
In turn, bruises can be on different parts of the leg, and in some cases the actions are somewhat different.
If this part of the lower limb is damaged, hematomas may occur. This fact is explained by the fact that in the lower leg muscles are less massive than, say, in the thigh. Therefore, if a woman has hurt her leg in this particular place, the treatment process should be approached thoroughly.
With such a bruise, in most cases the front face of the tibia is injured, as it is closer to the skin’s surface. The peculiarity of the pain syndrome with such a bruise is the fact that the pain can subside within 2-3 hours, and after that it can resume and become stronger.
In most cases, a woman complains that she hurt her leg in the lower leg after falling from a small height, playing sports, or directly striking the lower leg in everyday life.
Treatment of bruise of the leg
If this part of the leg was injured, then first of all it is necessary to stop loading the injured limb.It is better to take a sitting position and put a few pillows under your leg, thereby lifting it up. During the first day after injury, it is necessary to apply cold to the damaged area (20 minutes of contact and the same pause). This will stop the internal bleeding.
If a woman has hurt her leg in the lower leg area, after 3 days from the moment of injury, it is worth using thermal procedures. These are baths and compresses. You also need to apply iodine mesh on the skin. It will be useful ointments with anti-inflammatory and anti-edema effects. If a lump formed, you will need a massage.
For large and old hematomas, you should consult a doctor for an autopsy.
With this type of injury, hematoma is often formed as a result of extensive bleeding. If such damage does not begin to heal, then complications are possible.
You can recognize this type of injury by the following symptoms:
- hip girth increases, bruising and noticeable swelling appear;
- due to severe pain, the joint cannot be bent normally;
- during the feeling of the thigh, pain is felt, both local and diffuse over the entire surface;
- possible manifestation of signs of intoxication and inflammation: body temperature rises and lymph nodes increase.
As with any other injury, the leg should be left alone, that is, do not load it. The affected area should be bandaged with an elastic bandage, but not too hard, so that the skin below the level of the bandage does not begin to turn blue.
Foot hurt. What to do?
If a leg bruise is received, treatment should not be postponed: for 15 minutes you need to apply ice, after a pause of 20 minutes, repeat this procedure. If the pain is too strong, it is recommended to take an anesthetic (“Ketonal”, “Analgin”, “Took”).
You must contact your doctor in any case. This is important because of the need for high-quality diagnostics for damage of this kind.
You should not make hasty and incorrect actions if you had a leg bruise. What to do in this situation, especially when it comes to the hip, will be prompted by the experience of conservative treatment:
- For 7-10 days after injury, you must give up any loads. This means that you will rarely have to walk, and keep your foot predominantly in a horizontal position using pillows for elevating the foot.In case of edema, an elastic bandage bandage should be fixed on the thigh, but it should be removed overnight.
- Physiotherapeutic procedures will be useful. We are talking about magnetic therapy and electrophoresis with novocaine and potassium iodide (after the 3rd day). They are prescribed to ensure rapid resorption of hematomas. After a week, electrostimulation, UHF, suction massage can be performed.
- If swelling of the leg after hip injury is noted, then it is worth taking non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (Celebrex, Nise, Movalis), which successfully cope with the swelling and remove pain. In that case, if the pain cannot be called intense, it will be enough to use such local remedies as Fastum Gel, Febrofid, Diklak. It is worth applying them three times a day for 10-12 days.
- Exercises are also a necessary health measure. You can do after a week of recovery. Moderate loads are needed to prevent joint stiffness and improve blood circulation in the injured area.
If there was a place for a severe hip injury, then treatment should be carried out in a hospital.
General principles of impact on injury
Many active people who have received an unexpected injury want to know how to quickly cure a leg injury. In the speed of recovery, an important role is played by those actions that were taken in the first minutes after the damage.
As soon as the leg was injured, the bruised place should be cooled. For these purposes, a perfect compress with ice, a pack of oil from the refrigerator or any cold object. Rapid cooling is necessary in order to prevent the hematoma from spreading, to relieve pain and swelling.
When it takes several days after getting a bruise, you can proceed to exposure to the damaged area with heat. This implies the use of hot water bottles, UHF and heating compresses. Thanks to such procedures, the process of resorption of the hematoma is activated in the body.
In order to restore the leg in a short time, you need to use non-steroidal anti-inflammatory gels and ointments. It is worth applying them four times a day, at the same time it is necessary to cover all affected area of a leg. It is also important to follow the simple principle: the more puffiness, the thicker the layer of ointment.
There are many effective recipes that can relieve pain and swelling, so it makes sense to dwell on only a few of them:
- Wax and oil.It is necessary to mix beeswax and butter, boil them. The resulting solution can handle the damaged area.
- Salt gadgets. For their preparation will need 2 liters of water, 100 g of salt. It is recommended to add a little more chamomile, birch and bay leaves to the solution. All this needs to be boiled and wait until the resulting solution is completely cooled. Next, you need to moisten a towel in a solution, squeeze it and attach it to the damaged place.
- Camphor. It is recommended to rub a bruised place with camphor alcohol, since the agent has a warming effect, due to which the inflammatory process quickly passes and the hematoma is absorbed.
The result is very simple: in case of injury it is important to quickly and competently respond, then the former leg mobility will be restored as soon as possible.
If the leg does not actually move, an urgent need to consult a doctor.